Well, we have finally arrived at the place where there are more job openings than talent to fill them (notice I used the word “talent”). Why? Because while companies are stepping up their hiring they are still sticking to their wish list of requirements – and some of those lists are pretty extensive. Trust me on that.
What to do now that you have a choice.
I noticed a statistic the other day that said roughly 2.4 million employees are pulling up stakes each month, while the number of monthly open jobs has hit 4 million. Please think about a few things before you run out of the door:
- Understand why you are leaving – this may sound trite but you really should have a solid reason for looking for a new job.
- Know what industries are strong both now and in the future and know which ones are on the decline.
- Thoroughly research potential new employers, understand their culture and be honest with yourself as to whether or not you might fit in.
- Think about your 5 year plan and make sure a job change fits into the plan. If you don’t have a 5 year plan, then maybe you should start by creating one first before you hit the door.
- Remember that there are bad bosses, horrible people and problems everywhere you go so don’t think that your new company will somehow be nirvana – be realistic. Learn how to resolve issues before you switch jobs so you can be more prepared in the future.