A bit of a silly title I admit, however, I have been thinking a lot lately about how we take care of our bodies, minds and spirits. I realize most of us are not good at listening to our bodies; we take for granted that our bodies will be there no matter how badly we treat them. In the words of Jimmy Buffet “you treat your body like a temple, I treat mine like a tent” – which brings me to the point that perhaps we should take regular inventory of how we are treating ourselves….are we treating our bodies and minds like we would treat someone else’s?
I discuss with my clients how they can describe their management style; and I realize that I do not discuss with them how they should be treating themselves. I explain how they must take care of their clients but I never tell them how to take care of “self”. So let’s think about a few things we can do better for ourselves:
- How is your diet – are you eating good, healthy food to nourish your body? Fresh fruits, vegetables, no fast food, no junk food, no chemicals.
- Are you getting enough sleep or is stress keeping you up at night? If so, what are you going to do about it – do you need to see a doctor?
- Are you taking time for yourself at night and on weekends – I find my weekends are either taken up by yard work or housework – I need to get better at taking time for me – lunch with a friend, a movie, anything but work!
- Are you getting enough exercise – yes, I hate exercise too but I made a pact with one of my clients that we would start exercising, so do whatever it takes to get yourself back in the swing of it! Go for a walk, go to yoga, do Pilates, anything to get the body moving again.
- Are you taking all your vacation time – are you working while you are on vacation? I know I work when I am on vacation.
So here is where I am at, I am back eating healthy food, I am back to Pilates 3 times a week, I am buying books on my iPad to take on my vacation. I will spend time with family.
Be kind to your body – it will return the favor in spades!