If you think just showing up on time and dressed professionally is going to get you the job, think again. I believe that 80% of the success of an interview is done during the preparation BEFORE you arrive:
- You must be able to answer basic questions like: tell me about yourself, what are your strengths/weaknesses, why should I hire you and this question I have heard a lot lately – if we hire you what changes/improvements will you make immediately?
- You must spend a lot of time preparing for the interview. Make sure you have a copy of the job description and script your answers to conform with the list of job requirements.
- Make sure you research the company in order to understand their products, vision, mission and what makes them different.
- Be prepared to effectively discuss the question of salary without boxing yourself into an absolute dollar amount.
- Make sure you have prepared as many answers as you can ahead of time so you are well able to articulate your strengths and what you bring to the table.
So, again, WHY IS AN INTERVIEW LIKE AN ICEBERG? Because 80% of the work is prepared in advance – below the surface if you will.